Check out my blog at www.trainyourboard.com/blog. Several times per month, my colleague Andrea Kihlstedt and I post stories about fundraising, training, facilitation, board development, and other topics. It’s practical, fun, and a quick read.
The following 13 articles are available from the Grassroots Fundraising Journal, www.z2systems.com/np/clients/grassroots/catalog.jsp?catalog=1. In the “Author’s last name” box, enter Robinson. Note: The Journal charges $3 to download each article. They are a nonprofit and deserve your support!
● “Organizational Assessment: Developing an Earned Income Strategy that Works for YOU,” Grassroots Fundraising Journal, March-April 2013.
● “Confessions of A Capital Campaign Chair”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, May-June 2012.
● “Ten Creative Ways to Pay for Training and Consulting”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, July-August 2011.
● “What Every Board Members Should Know About Financial Management … and Probably Doesn’t”, with Nancy Wasserman, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, January/February 2011.
● “After the Yes: Twelve Questions You Can Ask Donors”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, September/October 2010.
● “Always Be Asking: Using Organizing to Build Membership”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, March/April. 2010.
● “They Said They Would Raise Money…Now What? Twelve Tips to Help Board Members Hold Each Other Accountable”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, July-August 2008.
● “More Askers = More Money: An All-Staff Approach to Major Gifts”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, May-June 2007.
● “Rural Fundraising: Looking Beyond the Locals”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, March/April 2003.
● “Finding Foundation Funders”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, March/April 2004.
● “More Money in the Mailbox: Eleven Tips for Improving Your Mailings“, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, November/December 2005.
● “In Praise of Amateurs: Why Volunteers Make the Best Fundraisers”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, November/December 2004.
● “Business Planning for Enterprising Nonprofits”, Grassroots Fundraising Journal, July/August 2002.
“An Exercise That Raises Money While You Do It,” GuideStar, August 2015, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2015/exercise-that-raises-money-while-you-do-it.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: Planning a Fundraising House Party,” GuideStar, May 2015, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2015/fundraising-training-exercise-planning-a-fundraising-house-party.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: The Gift is Just the Beginning,” GuideStar, March 2015, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2015/the-gift-is-just-the-beginning.aspx
“Challenge Your Board, Raise More Money,” GuideStar, February 2015,
“Fundraising Training Exercise: Active Listening — What Do You Hear?”, GuideStar, January 2015, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2015/fundraising-training-exercise-active-listening.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: Fundraising From the Inside Out,” GuideStar, November 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/fundraising-training-exercise-fundraising-from-the-inside-out.aspx
“Major Gifts Fundraising: The Questions I Hear Most Often,” GuideStar, October 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/major-gifts-fundraising-faqs-from-andy-robinson.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: Building a Board Fundraising Ladder,” GuideStar, September 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/fundraising-training-exercise-building-board-fundraising-ladder.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: What Drew You to This Work?” GuideStar, July 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/fundraising-training-exercise-what-drew-you-to-this-work.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: Where’s the Money?” GuideStar, May 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/fundraising-training-exercise-wheres-the-money.aspx
“Fundraising Training Exercise: Where Do You Stand? Fundraising Continuums,” GuideStar, March 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/fundraising-training-exercise-fundraising-continuums.aspx
“Getting Started as a Fundraising Trainer,” GuideStar, March 2014, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2014/getting-started-as-a-fundraising-trainer.aspx
“Asking Far and Wide: Interview With Fundraiser Andy Robinson,” GuideStar, November 21, 2013, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2013/asking-far-and-wide-interview-with-fundraiser-andy-robinson.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=2353228&hq_l=18&hq_v=34192bcd99
“After the Yes: 12 Questions You Can Ask Donors After They Say Yes,” Keep the Change, September 2013, www.archive.constantcontact.com/fs116/1102767391075/archive/1115022992520.html
“The Less Visible Leader: Emerging Leadership Models for Environmental Networks, Coalitions, and Collaboratives,” Institute for Conservation Leadership, January 2013, www.icl.org/product/the-less-visible-leader/
“It’s Not Your Money: How Boards Can Resolve Financial Conflicts of Interest,” with Nancy Wasserman, GuideStar, October 18, 2012, www.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2012/how-boards-can-resolve-financial-conflicts-of-interest.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=1842735&hq_l=17&hq_v=34192bcd99
“What Every Board Members Should Know About Your Organization…and Probably Doesn’t,” with Nancy Wasserman, Contributions, April 2012, www.contributionsmagazine.com/currentissuearticles/financesexcerpt.html
“After the Yes: 12 Questions You Can Ask Donors Once They Say Yes,” with Harvey McKinnon, GuideStar, February 2012, www2.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2012/after-the-yes.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=1526787&hq_l=6&hq_v=63e2828756
“Peer to Peer Fundraising: It’s Not What You Think,” GuideStar, January 2012, www2.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2012/peer-to-peer-fundraising.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=1505299&hq_l=6&hq_v=34192bcd99
“Integrate Financial Thinking into all Aspects of Board Work,” with Nancy Wasserman, massnonprofit.org, January 2011, www.massnonprofit.org/expert.php?artid=2247&catid=22
“How to Help Board Members Create a Culture of Fundraising”, massnonprofit.org, November 2010, www.massnonprofit.org/expert.php?artid=2166&catid=22
“Board Fundraising: 3 Questions with Andy Robinson,” Common Good Vermont, October 2010,
“Case study: Online tools help increase offline (and online) giving,” Mal Warwick’s Newsletter, July 2010,
“Managing Grant Money,” Shelterforce, September/October 2005,
“The Word You Hear Most Often: Inoculating Yourself to ‘No,’” Contributions, September/October 2004,
“Are You Ready for Enterprise? Ten Questions to Ask Yourself Before Starting a Nonprofit Venture,” Shelterforce, July/August 2002,